2012 Pinterest Challenge: Fall Edition

I didn’t officially announce that I was participating in this one, but it just so happened that I started a project that I had pinned months ago the same day that Sherry and Katie announced it was Pinterest Challenge time again. So, I figured I had the perfect motivation to not only start the project, but also finish it in a reasonable amount of time so that I could talk about it here.

What’s the project, you ask? A lovely slipcover for a very cranberry colored ottoman. Oh yeah, and the ottoman is HUGE! It was recently reupholstered thanks to my mother-in-law. She had it in their kitchen (which has a sitting area to the side) and then in their basement for a while, along with a matching chair. She has since reupholstered the chair in a more neutral fabric and wanted to downsize the ottoman. Our basement was a perfect home for it. But…I wasn’t digging the color and didn’t want to pay to have it upholstered again.

Miss Mustard Seed offers a 6 part video series on how to make slipcovers out of drop cloths. I finally got around to watching each of the videos and decided that I needed to at least attempt the ottoman before tackling two winged chairs in our coffee room (aka cute name for a small living room).

I had purchased the drop cloth on another Lowe’s run a while ago. And after watching the tutorial I realized I needed to get some heavy duty needles, a cording/piping foot for my sewing machine and cotton cording. Gotta love Amazon.com and 2-day free shipping. Once I had all of my supplies, I tried it out. That little foot is amazing! I want to make lots and lots of piping for no reason at all. I love it when something works exactly the way it’s supposed to.

So, once I had my piping made, I started ripping pieces for the ruffle. Yes, ripping. No cutting or measuring required. AND…drop cloths are made with hemmed edges! I wanted to make sure I could use all of the pre-hemmed edges to my advantage. And since the ottoman is so big, I knew I would need a lot of fabric for this part. It turns out, it wasn’t enough, so I had to hem some myself.

Even though I had the fabric for the ruffles torn and all sewn into one big strip, I put it aside until I had the piping attached to the top piece. I had just enough fabric left over for the top. Attaching the two was as easy as making the piping itself. Love that little foot! Can’t say it enough.

Once the piping was attached to the top piece, I realized that I had tucked the corners incorrectly. I got a little confused about which was the right side and which was the wrong side. Turns out, you pin the piping to the right side of the fabric. The corners aren’t horrible, but not what I had intended.

attaching the ruffle — this is what the corners should have looked like

The opposite is true for attaching the ruffles. So, I turned the top piece over and started pinning the long strip of fabric in a pleats all the way around. Sewing this part was tricky because of the many layers. The corners were the most challenging with ten layers of fabric! My sewing machine is a trooper.

All in all, I’m thrilled to have this project done. I love it!

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *